Vacant Building Registration Form
Pursuant to Village of Winnebago Ordinance number 2013-02, any building which has been determined to be a “Vacant Building” must be registered with the Village of Winnebago. Please submit the completed annual registration form within fifteen (15) days of knowledge that the property is vacant or within fifteen (15) days of receipt of a “Notice of Vacant Building Determination” status, and then annually on the anniversary date of the first filing for the time the building remains vacant, with the required $200.00 annual fee.
- The owner shall pay a $200.00 annual (calendar year) non-prorated registration fee.
This registration fee shall be renewed each year on the anniversary date of the first filing for the time the building remains vacant, and a $200.00 registration fee shall be submitted with each renewed registration.
- The owner shall file an amended registration form within fifteen (15) days of any change in the information provided herein or on the annual renewal registration form. A new registration is required for any change in ownership whatsoever.
- By signing this registration form the Owner hereby consents to service of notices sent or required to be sent, pursuant to Ordinance 2013-02, by posting on the building if the owner fails to renew the registration if required or maintain as current with the Village Office the information required regarding the person designated to accept notice and service of process.
- The owner shall consent to a code compliance inspection of the interior and exterior of the vacant building and premises and shall pay a five hundred dollar ($500.00) fee therefore within thirty (30) days of registering the vacant building. An unpaid fee shall be a lien upon the premises Such inspection will determine the extent of compliance with the Village’s property maintenance, building, health, fire, water, and sewer codes. The Village shall send the inspection report to the Owner within thirty (30) days of its completion. Periodic re-inspection shall take place, as necessary, until code compliance is achieved and annually thereafter. Timely code compliance is required. Failure to comply will subject the owner to a minimum fine of $100.00 per day per violation to a maximum of $750.00, in addition to any legal or equitable remedies. The Owner shall conduct bi-weekly inspections of all premises. Exterior lighting shall be maintained.
- Registration of a vacant building does not exonerate the owner from compliance with all applicable codes of ordinances, nor does it preclude any of the actions the Village is authorized to take pursuant to other provisions of this ordinance or any other law or ordinance.
- The owner shall obtain and maintain liability insurance for as long as the building is vacant, and file evidence of such insurance with the Village Building Official. A copy of the Certificate of Insurance shall be attached to this registration form.
- Residential Building – 1 unit (single family): $100,000.00
- Residential Building – 2 to 3 units: $500,000.
- Residential Building – 4 to 11 units: $750,000.
- Residential Building – 12 to 48 units: $1,000,000.
- Residential Building – more than 48 units: $2,000,000.
- Manufacturing, Industrial, Storage or Non-residential Commercial Building: $2,000,000.
- A copy of the Vacant Building Plan, as required under Ordinance No. 2013-02 shall be filed with the Village Building Official within thirty (30) days of the time the building is registered. If the owner fails to submit a plan the Village Building Official may determine the plan. The plan should address the following, as applicable:
- Action to repair any doors, windows, or other openings secured by any means other than conventional methods. Boarding shall be accomplished with materials and methods described by the Village Building Official. A vacant building cannot be boarded for longer than six (6) months without an extension.
- Action to remedy any public nuisances.
- Time schedule identifying the start and completion date of repair for improperly secured openings and nuisances identified.
- Action to maintain the building and premises.
- Identify the date the building will be habitable or offered for sale.
No plan which provides for compliance with this ordinance, or which will not, as determined by the Village Building Official, achieve such compliance, within six (6) months, in the case of a vacant boarded building, and two (2) years, in the case of a vacant, unboarded, and code-compliant building, shall be approved.
- The exteriors of all premises shall at all times be maintained in compliance with this ordinance. Weeds and grass shall be maintained at a maximum height of ten inches (10”).
- Signage: Must be affixed to any building which is boarded, with signage to be no smaller than two feet by two feet (2’ x 2’), compliant with the Village’s sign regulations and providing the following information: The name, address, and telephone number of the owner, and in addition, for buildings which are the subject of a foreclosure action, the name, address, and telephone number of the Plaintiff and the Plaintiff’s attorney, if any, in the foreclosure action. The sign must be placed so that its message is legible from the public way. A sign permit must be obtained so the Village is aware of the posting, but the sign application fee shall be waived.