Village of Winnebago Police Department
Now accepting applications for full-time officers
Starting Wage: $54,600 – $58,968 DOE
The Village of Winnebago Police Department seeks to expand their current staff. We are currently accepting applications to establish an eligibility list for police officers. The Winnebago Police Department provides 24/7 coverage to the Village of Winnebago, Illinois.
The Village of Winnebago is located just west of the City of Rockford and offers a small-town charm and one-on-one interactions with our community. The Winnebago Police Department is committed to creating and maintaining a professional and community-oriented police service. With its dedicated officers, the department it is equipped and trained to handle many types of emergency situations.
- 90%(employer)-10%(employee) paid healthcare and dental with optional vision coverage. Life and disability insurance.
- First issue uniforms and equipment provided, uniform allowance after first year
- Paid overtime & holiday pay (10 paid holidays a year), nightshift differential
- 12-hour shifts, every other three-day weekend off (Friday/Saturday/Sunday)
- Sick time accrued based on years of service plus two personal days a year
- Vacation time is based on years of service to the Village of Winnebago
- IMRF retirement system (Tier Two for newly hired officers)
- Many training opportunities available
Candidates for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- Must have successfully completed the Illinois Basic Law Enforcement Academy and possess certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or be qualified to take the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board “Out of State Reciprocity” requirements to include: Mandatory Firearms Training Law for Illinois Police Equivalency Exam
- Citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Individuals must be at least 21 years old.
- Education – High School diploma or its equivalent.
- Sworn, certified law enforcement officer within the last 3 years preceding the date of application. Municipal experience preferred.
- Applicant must be in good standing in the police department for which they serve or were laid off from.
- Must have no felony convictions and be of good moral character.
- Possess substantially equivalent skills and abilities of a police officer.
- Possession of an Illinois Driver’s License and the ability to obtain a FOID card.
Candidates that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
All application will be screened to confirm minimum qualifications are met. Qualified applications are kept on file and applicants may be selected for further consideration.
Applicants selected for further consideration will be invited to a mandatory oral interview with the Police Committee Chair, Chief of Police and Sergeant. Only those applicants who received an official recommend referral to proceed from the Police Committee will be advanced in the hiring process.
Qualified applicants who have been recommended by the Police Committee may be further considered for employment but are subject to the following professional examinations to be considered for appointment:
- Physical Fitness Assessment (if applicable)
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination
If you have any questions, please contact Sergeant N. Haff via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Village of Winnebago is an Equal Opportunity Employer