The Village of Winnebago Police Department is in immediate need of 1 full-time and 1 part-time police officer. Applications are also being accepted to establish a pool-eligibility list for police officers. Applications are available below or in person at Winnebago Village Hall – 108 West Main Street, Winnebago, IL 61088 M-Th. Must be State of Illinois certified or be able to obtain a waiver by the Illinois Training and Standards Board. The Village of Winnebago is an equal opportunity employer.
Village of Winnebago
$43680.00 (Full-Time) / $18/hour (Part-Time)
80% (employer)-20%(employee) paid healthcare and dental with optional vision coverage. Life and disability insurance. IMRF (Tier 2) retirement system,vacation based upon years of service to the Village, uniforms and equipment provided.
Various to include nights and weekends
Candidates will need to submit a resume and application.
The Winnebago Police Department’s lateral entry program includes training and orientation through a field training program that can last up to 14 weeks, depending on experience. Lateral applicant candidates must meet all of the requirements for an entry level police officer.
In-State Lateral Candidate:
- Candidate must be employed as a full-time officer with an Illinois law enforcement agency and shall be employed for a minimum of two (2) years and must possess a valid Illinois Law Enforcement Officer certificate from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
Out-of-State Lateral Candidate:
- Candidate must be currently employed as full-time officer with any municipal, county or state law enforcement agency, such lateral applicant shall have been so employed for a minimum of two (2) years prior to application and shall meet the Illinois Law Enforcement Training & Standards Board “Out of State Reciprocity” requirements.
Lateral applicant candidates must complete all testing deemed necessary by the Chief of Police and Police Committee.
Lateral Entry Minimum Qualifications are:
- State of Illinois certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB) or meet the Illinois Law Enforcement Training & Standards Board “Out of State Reciprocity” requirements.
- United States citizen or naturalized citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years old at time of application & at time of hire.
- Education – High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience – at least 2 years’ experience as a full time sworn, certified law enforcement officer.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Certified Birth Certificate.
- Valid Illinois Firearm Owner Identification card (F.O.I.D.) at the time of hire.
- Must agree to comply with all requirements of the position, including providing copies of any requested employment related materials or other documents to confirm or verify information, and have the ability to pass all examination and training requirements.
Applicants if applicable, shall furnish and military service records, including discharge papers (DD 214).
The Village of Winnebago or its representatives reserve the right to re-verify candidate qualifications at any time during the screening and hiring process.
- Lateral applicant must not have any felony convictions nor have been convicted certain misdemeanors.
Village employees shall not be required to be a resident of the Village. However, sworn officers and employees deemed vital to the operation of the Village shall reside within a thirty (30) mile radius of Village Hall while employed by the Village. New hires shall be given six months from date of hire to obtain residency unless waived by the Corporate Authorities. Employees employed prior to the adoption of this policy shall be excluded from enforcement of residency requirements.
Questions should be sent via email to Nicholas Haff, Officer